Below are some sample Bloomberg onsite interview questions.
1. introduce the projects you worked or are working on
2. why bloomberg, why software engineer
3. how to test if a system is little endian or big endian
4. how to test if a binary tree is balanced or not
5. given two year-month-day, how to calculate the difference
6. char * p, what is sizeof(p)
7. virtual method and inheriance
8. erase white char in a string
9. what's the different between stack and heap for memory allocation
To brush up your interview skill set, in particular, the data structure/algorithm ability, see this page for my recommendations:
Best Books For Preparing Computer Science Interviews
1. JC 2012-10-27 20:57
More Bloomberg interview questions as follows:
1. If you insert a key into a STL set and the key is already in the set, what will happen?
2. Merge two unsorted array. Each array has unique values, but there are dupliates between two arrays. Remove the duplicates and merge them. Time complexity must be better than O(nlogn). You shouldn't use hash table.
3. Write a program to calculate average of an array of integers. How to handle overflow with C++? (use exception handling)
4. One single-threaded program on PC, one single-threaded program on server that has "read input", "process", "send output" steps. The user enters a request on the PC, the request is sent to the server, and the server processes it for two minutes and gets back to users. When the server is processing the request, the user's screen freezes. The minmum time interval between two requests from the user is four minutes. Now we will have five more users, what can you do to make the system reponds better? Each user can have seperate PCs.
5. What kind of errors you may have when running a program? Such as abort, segment fault, bus error. Why? What may cause your program to exit unexpectedly. List as many as you can.
6. How do you design a hash table. Details about the hash function. Why use prime number?
7. To be able to use vector<AObject> vec(6), What need to be defined for AObject class? (like default constructor...)
8. What's the toughest question you will ask a interviewee? Then, answer it by yourself.
9. How the OS implements malloc? What's heap? why is it called heap? (Actually it's implemented with a heap data structure)
10. Design a Human resources job application/interview database system. Draw ER diagram, design tables.
11. You have an endless stream of characters. You are given a dictionary. You need to count how many times the words in the dictionary appear in the stream. For example, for a stream "....today....", the counts for words "to" , "day", "today" should all be increased by one. (I used a prefix tree to save the dictionary)
12. Design a class for a phone.
13. Rate yourself on C++, 1 to 10.