Many job seekers in USA are not only ignoring basic interview techniques, but they're making mistakes that leave unforgettable impressions for all the wrong reasons. Here are 10 real-life examples how to ruin an interview.
1. Candidate answered cell phone and asked the interviewer to leave her own office because it was a "private" conversation.
Comment: Good gracious, who's the boss?
2. Applicant told the interviewer he wouldn't be able to stay with the job long because he thought he might get an inheritance if his uncle died and his uncle wasn't "looking too good."
Comment: WTF, why you want a job then??
3. The job seeker asked the interviewer for a ride home after the interview.
Comment: Yo boy, that's convenient!
4. The applicant smelled his armpits on the way to the interview room.
Comment: where is the air cleaner?
5. Candidate said she could not provide a writing sample because all of her writing had been for the CIA and it was "classified."
Comment: well then, work for the CIA dude!
6. Candidate told the interviewer he was fired for beating up his last boss.
Comment: do you want to be beaten again, boss?
7. When the applicant was offered food before the interview, he declined saying he didn't want to line his stomach with grease before going out drinking.
Comment: is your stomach more important?
8. An applicant said she was a "people person" not a "numbers person" – in her interview for an accounting position.
Comment: maybe she is good for HR position? In fact, I think better work as a cheap chick!
9. During a phone interview the candidate flushed the toilet while talking to hiring manager.
Comment: "sounds good", the interviewer must have said!!
10. The applicant took out a hair brush and brushed her hair.
Comment: nice! good looking but too good for a job!