Having a large network of professional contacts is useful both when finding employment and to gain access to important business opportunities. The following article explains why and 10 tips on developing a large contact network:
1. It is important to manage different contacts differently. For those which we have immediate interest we keep them at first level, closest to us.
2. It is essential to take time to acquire and figure out how to properly utilize our contacts.
3. In networking size does matter, you must have a large network whilst still maintaining quality.
4. To grow your network, proactively participate in as many events as possible, even if you don't know anybody there.
5. We should invite to our events not just our group and our contacts, otherwise how will we grow?
6. Give your email, your business card, your phone number to your future contacts.
7. You should contact the person newly added to your network in less than a week to generate the important "first impact".
8. Any excuse is good when it comes to keeping in touch! For example, birthdays, holidays or simply report the state of oneself.
9. We must invest more in listening than in talking about oneself. You must hear what the person has to say and offer in order to enhance the relationship.
10. We should know our strengths in order to see what we can offer to our contacts to become stronger.