All Topics  |  Login | Register

Home > Living in USA 

Steps To Get Comcast Internet Cable Deals

by JC on 2013-07-17 00:27 last updated: 2013-07-17 00:27 viewed 30738 times
It's that time of year again! My One year Comcast Free Starz Promotion package is going to expire soon. So, time to do some searching for new comcast deals as an existing customer.

Before I list my plan to obtain new comcast deals, here is my current comcast setting:

--$25 economical internet
--$19.99, digital TV, 84 channels
--$5 modem rental

Okey, with that in mind, here are the steps I am going to go through to negotiate with Comcast.

1. Search on the web for deals for the services you wish to have through Comcast. See what offers are out there for existing customers and even new customers. Get familiar with the best rates for these services.

2. Comcast phone is not that great, so, what I would do is to lock a cheap rate for Internet and Cable TV. Here are what I would aim for:

--Internet $19.99: if there are no $19.99 promo after a couple of calls, ask for the economy internet rate until the next 19.99 promo comes around.

--Cable TV $19.99: I won't spend too much on television.

--Premium Channels (HBO, Starz, Showtime) FREE! I won't pay for these channels as I got promotional offers for these channels free in the past.

3. With the research done, it is time to contact Comcast. I might call Comcast but I would probably use their Comcast Support Online Chat. Here is what I would say:

"Hi. I am a long time Comcast customer, my current plan is going to expire, so would like to get a good price for a new Comcast plan, thanks so much for helping me with that! I'm interested in XYZ for $x.xx, can you assist me?"

You don't have to be agressive to get what you want, expect the service rep on your side as they want to retain a loyal customer.

4. Tips for dealing with comcast customer service rep:

From my past experience, the customer service reps are generally helpful and willing to find you that deal! Same goes for online chat. Your strategy would be to just cut to the chase, politely ask for what EXACTLY you want. If you don't get what you want the first time, try again with a new rep. At times a "no" can turn into a "yes".

If you are a new Comcast customer you can get even better deals through "authorized dealers". Best Buy and other companies can get you the best rates on new service plus other incentives like gift cards and free modems!

A ten minute phone call or chat with Comcast can save you a lot of money. Happy negotiating!

Comments (51)
1. JC 2011-02-05 18:10
To see the list of comcast channels, here are the steps:
1. Go to www.comcast.com
2. Choose Programming->Channel Lineup
3. Put in your street address, Zip Code
4. Select your Comcast Cable TV package
5. Now you can see all the TV channels you have

Or, just go to this page:
http://www.comcast.com/programming/channellineup/all.html
2. visitor 2011-03-07 03:37
Alternative to Comcast is Qwest DSL, 7MBPS for $19.99, it is with a landline phone package.
3. visitor 2011-03-25 04:35
Couple of options to negotiation with Comcast:

--Go to their Redmond office in person
--Qwest has $29.99/month, 6 months or 12 months, plus $5/month rebate for Direct TV user. However, their service may not be good. Also, Qwest will be merged with CenturyLink on April 1st.
4. visitor 2011-05-01 02:47
CenturyLink is going to acquire Qwest Communications. To take advantage of this, Comcast is offering xFinity triple play at $119.99/month for a year. It includes on demand collection including Free Starz, fast Internet and unlimited USA nationwide calling.
5. visitor 2011-05-15 03:19
It is hard to get $19.99 comcast deal. But they might still have $24.99 12M/2M deal, try Bellevue's Best Buy store.

The other option for high speed Internet is to use Frontier, it is $19.99/month if you sign up for 24 months.

Clearwire probably also fine, but since it is wireless, the network may not be stable. Also they don't have a price advantage, plus you have to buy a wireless receiver for each computer at home.
6. lb 2011-05-26 21:08
do you have any recommendation on Comcast modem? Thanks.
7. JC 2011-05-27 02:12
Not in particular. But I think typically Comcast approved Motorola cable modems are good enough.
8. Seattle2011 2011-06-13 04:22
Some cheaper options for TV:

--Comcast limited cable is $15/month.

--Using HDTV Antenna (better with Amplifier), you could get 15-20 channels.

--Comcast high-speed Internet is said to allow 20+ channels.
9. mwc 2011-06-18 01:30
I heard someone got Comcast Internet for $19.99 with 2 year contract, 12M speed. Better than calling them every 6 months. Call customer service and directly press 0 to talk to a service rep.
10. oldcat 2011-06-18 19:01
To save time, you have to talk to Comcast Transitional sales department to check any available promotions in your area, and they can also recommend other options.
11. JC 2011-06-22 19:18
Comcast has a double-play offer that is $69.99 I think. It is 12MB Internet download speed, and ALL the TV channels you could watch (except the movie channels), that's about 180 channels!
12. JC 2011-07-02 00:55
I got a HD compatible TV at home, not HD ready. The rep on the phone told me that I could get a HD cable box in order to watch Comcast HD TV channels.

So, went to Comcast local service center today to get a HD cable box. The rep told me that they would charge $10 for that. Surprise, surprise...Anyhow, I didn't get it, why spent extra $10 for just a bit more HD TV channels anyway.
13. JC 2011-07-13 00:27
Comcast has this XFinity digital starter deal of $39.99/month for 6 months. It includes such on-demand channels as Cartoon Network, MTV, Bravo, HBO, etc.
14. JC 2011-08-02 20:35
There are quite some comcast authorized dealers online, but Comcast doesn't really provide a list of dealers on their website. The best one can find is this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/shop/retail/StoreLocator.html

Authorized Comcast dealers often offer the best deals, but it seems not easy to verify if they are legit or not.
15. JC 2011-08-08 19:09
Oh, also, I tried using comcast online chat to get a deal but the chat was very slow. It seems to me that the rep is dealing with multiple customers all the time.

So the best deal you could get is to just call them.
16. lb 2011-08-09 11:16
Just got QWest's $14.99/month for 6 months no bundle 7Mbps deal to replace Comcast's 1.5Mbps $19.99/month for 6 months. It works pretty well. Competition is great!
17. JC 2011-08-09 12:21
Thanks for lb for sharing. The tricky part of not using Comcast is that they have the kids channels, hard to replace that with other services. But, maybe a combo of Qwest/CenturyLink and dish network could suffice.
18. JC 2011-09-14 22:49
Under certain circumstances, Comcast does offer cheap Internet services. Here is an example, Comcast $9.95/month and a Low-Cost Computer Plan. To qualify, you must:

-Be located where Comcast offers Internet service
-Have at least one child receiving free school lunches through the National School Lunch Program
-Have not subscribed to Comcast Internet service within the last 90 days
-Not have an overdue Comcast bill or unreturned equipment

Call 1-855-8-INTERNET (1-855-846-8376) to get the application.
19. JC 2011-10-08 20:09
The bottom line is to lock in longer term (say 1 year), as Comcast has a tendency to raise price every 6 months.
20. JC 2011-11-28 11:49
As so many people have asked me on how to get discounts on Comcast Internet, here is my latest thought on it.

Typically you would only need the Cable and Internet, but no need for a landline phone. Therefore, for new customers, I would recommend the Comcast Double Play of $69.99/month for 1 year.

With this promotion, you would get Digital Starter TV of 80+ channels and high speed Internet of 15Mbps download.

This is similar to the plan I am using right now and locking in one year is best as it gives you the peace of mind.
21. JC 2011-12-17 16:32
Here is what I learned from someone who is an existing customer:

-----
Comcast Economy Internet and Limited Basic Cable for $25

"I just got done with online chat support and they reduced my bill from $46.90 to $25 (both are before taxes). I simply told them I was looking for a way to lower my bill for an account that was in good standing.

BEFORE:
Economy Internet - $26.95
Limited Basic Cable - $19.95

AFTER:
Economy Internet + Limited Basic Cable - $25.00

I do own my own modem, so I also save $5/month that way as well. I am also an existing customer with no late payments.
-----

Source:
http://m.slickdeals.net/f/3645878-Comcast-25-for-Economy-Internet-and-Limited-Basic-Cable-Existing-Customers-YMMV?
22. JC 2011-12-28 20:19
Here is another recent Comcast deal I heard someone got:

Comcast Performance Internet (15-20mbps)
Digital Preferred (HBO/STRAZ/CINEMAX/SHOWCASE 6 month free)
Total $80/month
23. JC 2012-04-13 20:21
Here is a new FAQ on the latest Comcast bargain.

Question:
My family is using the $39.99/month package, but it is expiring soon. The new rate would be $60+. What should I do?

Answer:
Contact Comcast customer service. They should give you $20 off discount per month for 6 months.
24. JC 2012-04-23 10:38
In terms of getting a good deal from Comcast, trying to catch hold of a sales rep is definitely the way to go. Also, I think everyone should brush up the negotiation skill set in this day and age. Use the above recent deals as a reference when you negotiate.
25. JC 2012-04-30 15:30
A Case Study:

Comcast 6-months promo rate expired, the new rate becomes $63/month. Customer service didn't find any new favorable rate and presented two choices:

1) Downgrade to economy Internet, 3 mbps, $40/month
2) Combo rate, including basic cable and some local channel. $60/month

All quite expensive.
26. JC 2012-05-13 07:34
Someone asked how come bestbuy sell comcast cheaper? Well, the answer I belive is the reps in any Best Buy stores are internal comcast employees.

I heard that they usually have some better deals for signing up for service than you can get ordering over the phone. The promos are pretty much the exact same, but they give you gift cards if you order at Best Buy. Here is a sample:

Visa Gift cards
$100 for adding any digital package for video
$75 for adding internet
$50 for adding phone
$50 for adding first HD box or HD DVR on account

Gift cards can be combined so if you get internet and video you get $175. If you get any triple play you get $225 gift card.

By the way, Comcast offers at best buy does not require a contract.
27. JC 2012-05-31 22:56
There is less than one month away from my Comcast renewal, sigh. It is that time again to get ready for a new bargain. Will report back here what I got.
28. Hugh 2012-06-04 08:44
Comcast in the past year, getting tougher to get someone located in the usa. The language and other barriers to communication prevail. Also they do not want to make any deals to existing customers.

I do not want the hassle of starting and stopping service. Any suggestions about dealing with their customer retention dept?
29. JC 2012-06-16 11:22
@Hugh,
Unfortunately, it is true that it is MUCH harder for existing customers to get another deal from Comcast. You just need to push harder I guess.

Recently I heard from my friend that he got $29.99/month for 6 months for the digital starter package. If you factor in high speed internet, it will probably be around $60/month. And that's just for 6 months, rates would go up after that.

The fact for this friend was, he didn't have Comcast cable service. So he was a new customer. He called them to see if there were any good deals, the rep didn't give him the above deal initially. He hung up and then after about a week, the rep called him back, giving him this deal.
30. JC 2012-06-28 21:31
My Comcast promotion plan is going to expire soon. My current plan Digital Starter Package is as follows:
-TV, 84 channels (2-29, 73-114, 15 channel above)
-high speed internet, 15MB
Total: $69.99 + tax + $ model rental = $82/month

Below are the new plans I am looking into:

1. Comcast Plans for Existing Customers

-Double play with 2 year contract: $89/first year, $109/second year, 180 channels (excluding the movie channels), high speed internet
-Economy TV: 40 channels, high speed internet, $79
-High speed Internet Only (15MB): $69.95
-Economy Internet Only (2-3MB): $39.95

2. CenturyLink Internet for New Customers

I've also looked into CenturyLink Internet, they have only low speed Internet in my area, details are:

-Speed: 1.5MB, $29.95/month for 6 months ($5.95 modem rental included)
-After 6 months, it will roll up to $40/month
-There is a one-time activation fee of $19.95

3. Dish Network TV Plans for New Customers

I also inquired about the Dish Network for TV plan, details are:

55 TV Channels Plan:
first year $19.99/month, second year $24.99/month, receiver $6/month. So, total on average is $28.5/month per year. This plan is really nothing more than just some local TV stations and a lot of shopping channels. So, I was told that I won't get much valuable programming out of it.

190 TV Channels Plan:
first year $24.99/month, second year $50.99/month, receiver $6/month. So, total on average is $43/month per year.

So, if I want to go with CenturyLink Internet ($29.95) plus Dish Network TV 190 channels ($43), I will be looking at about $73/month.

At this stage, I am leaning towards Comcast still, as they have high speed Internet. We can survive with less or no TV, but we can't survive without Internet.

So the most attractive option is the Comcast "Economy TV: 40 channels, high speed internet, $79" plan. However, I will ask them if the Economy TV contains Cartoon Network and Disney Channel or not? If not, I might just choose their Economy Internet Plan ($39.95) then.
31. JC 2012-06-29 10:53
So I called Comcast today and sealed the Economy TV + Internet plan with them. Actually, it is their Digital Economy TV plan. Here is the detail:

-Economy TV: 40 channels (including Cartoon Network, Disney Channel)
-Blast High Speed Internet at 25MB speed
Total: $79.95, modem rental: $7, final total is $86.95 plus tax.

This plan doesn't expire, so as long as I am happy with it, I can go with it always.

It seems to me rates are going up for EVERYTHING these days. Be it Comcast, food, property tax, etc. So, you could still get good deals on these daily expenses, but the raising tide is bringing all expenses higher. At some point, to live happily, you would just need to make a decision with a decent service and move on.
32. JC 2012-10-16 12:57
Here is a funny question I received from a visitor:
"why does comcast internet price rises every month"

I think the answer is two folds. First, it is due to inflation, second and probably the biggest factor is that, Comcast is a quasi-monopoly in lot of areas in the U.S.
33. JC 2012-10-20 18:09
Recently I heard the wireless LTE is fast, even faster than the wifi at home. So, probably in the long term, Comcast's monopoly will be challenged by wireless internet.
34. dawn brooks 2012-10-25 12:55
My current monthly bill is 220.00 for standard triple play with one HD box one digit box. why does it say in detail reg standard price after promo is 139.00 your comment appreciated
35. JC 2012-10-25 13:17
@dawn,
Oh wow, your bill seems ridiculously high. I think for triple play package, you would get better discounts.
36. Goldensach 2012-11-16 10:26
what is the cheapest plan for internet and cable with the same price for 10 years?
37. JC 2012-11-17 17:05
@Goldensach,
I doubt there is a 10 year lock-in rate for Comcast internet/cable. What I heard is, comcast has an ultimate infinity internet deal for just $19.99/month for 1 year. But if you are an existing customer, you have to cancel the service and wait for 3 months before being considered a new customer again.
38. Troy 2012-12-02 10:08
Two years Comcast triple-play was locked in at $135/month before taxes. After it expired, the price shot up to $160/month, just too expensive for us to pay. Switched over to AT&T, much happier
39. JC 2013-01-29 23:57
Cancelling Comcast and then get it again might win you some good deal. The way to do it, as I heard, is something like this:

Make sure you have at least 1 day gap between disconnect and new service. If there is 1-2 days gap between old service disconnect and new connection, normally they don't deactivate the service.

Example:
Suppose you asked comcast to cancel the service from 01/12. Even after cancelling the service you can still use the internet for 1-2 days provided no comcast technician came in your area for 1-2 days.

Call comcast on 01/13-01/14 to order internet with new name. Tell them you want self-installation so you don't have to pay installation charges. Then you should be fine. Someone used this tactic and changed Comcast from his name to his wife's name without any problem. There was 2 days gap between new connection but there was no internet outage.
40. JC 2013-02-01 00:06
For folks looking for Comcast deals, here is one promo I got from them:
"enjoy XFINITY On Demand, WatchESPN and all of your favorite channels at an amazing price. As a valued XFINITY customer, you are eligible for a special upgrade. Digital Starter TV for just $39.99/month for 6 months".
41. JC 2013-02-13 07:03
As a reference, Comcast used to have the "Ultimate Comcast / Infinity Internet deal- $19.99/Month for 1 year with no additional service required". Not sure if it is available anymore.
42. lb 2013-02-15 17:34
I asked comcast a question using chat:

is comcastspecial.com an authorized dealer?

Comcast: Please be advised that it is a reseller.
43. JC 2013-02-15 20:39
@lb,
Interesting, I saw on ComcastSpecial.com that they are "Comcast Authorized Dealer". So I guess legally speaking they are not.
44. lb 2013-02-15 22:03
I placed the order from comcastspecial.com for $19.99/month. All they asked were my address, email and phone #. They said they are sending me Self-Install Kit which will arrive in 5-7 business days. It seems to be legit since they didn't ask for credit card. It looks like they are simply middle men. Anyway I will find out soon.
45. JC 2013-02-15 22:31
@lb,
Good for you! Hope everything works out fine. Please keep us posted on the installation.
46. lb 2013-02-18 12:23
I didn't pay attention. $19.99 is for current cable customer, so I just get the $29.99, same as getting it directly from Comcast. But I verified comcastspecial.com is legit, it is ok to go with them if they have better deals.
47. JC 2013-02-18 12:33
@lb,
Great, thanks for the info. When our Comcast service expires, might look into that as well.
48. JC 2013-03-03 11:30
New Comcast promotion plans I've recently heard of:

1. Economy Plus promotion: $14.99 for one year.

2. Performance promotion plan: $19.99 a year.
49. JC 2013-03-22 12:48
Someone asked me if a new customer would be able to get free installation. So, here is my thought on it.

For Comcast internet deals, if you are a new customer, you can always negotiate a free installation, even if the package they give you don't have it.
50. JC 2013-07-01 10:25
Comcast customer service by phone is quite frustrating. As my current plan is going to expire, I called up Comcast 1-800-266-2278 to get some options.

I was surprised to find out that due to a high call volume, I needed to wait for between 30 ~ 45 minutes to get to a live body to talk to, that's unbelievable!

Anyhow, I waited and eventually someone from customer service picked up my call. They told me my current plan is not a promotion plan, and it will not expire. For anyone interested, my current plan is:
digital starter package
-digital starter package TV, 84 channels (2-29, 73-114, 15 channel above)
-internet, 15mb
-$7 modem rental
$69.99 + tax + $7 = $82

There is a new xFinity Internet & TV package promotion I received through the mail. It is $99.99/month for 12 month with Blast Internet and HBO channel included. The regular price for this package is $135/month.

After some thought, I told the rep that I would still want to keep the current plan, which is around $80/month. The jump from our current plan of $80 to $100 is a $20 increase per month, and just for more TV channels. These days with the high speed Internet, we could care less about TVs.
51. JC 2013-07-17 00:27
I just learned today that Google is to secure programming deals for intrnet TV service.

If that's the case, it could be interesting to look into. Right now, the biggest incentive that we are keeping Comcast TV service is because of the kids channels. These channels you just couldn't see on the Internet.

But with Google's new initiative, it could disrupt the existing TV service providers like Comcast...

Recommended Articles
• Comcast Internet Speed Tiers
• Amazing Comcast FREE Starz Channels Promotion For a Year
• My Experience on Chase $200 Coupon Code For Checking Account
• Free Science A-Z Download Links
• List of Bank Checking Account Bonus In USA
Living in USA | Back to Top | Home

Add Comment

Name
Email   (Not Displayed)

About Us | Advertise with Us | Write For JiansNet | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
Mobile Site | Desktop Site
Copyright © 2007-2014, All Rights Reserved.